Friday, November 6, 2015

Recently trending on Facebook thoughts--

"Same-sex marriage is a social experiment, and like most experiments it will take time to understand its consequences."

NY Times post that I discuss, including the above quote
-------------------------
Thoughts to throw out there:

I'll begin by setting a few expectations

I don't know exactly how a study like this can be made reputable. I'm pretty sure most children that grow up in a homosexual household come from a background of divorce, so it's hard to separate causation. The study mentioned seems to only have mentioned homosexuality in the household as a peripheral. Since this article in 2012, I think there has been a change in the way a homosexual household can be conducted.

I will also add as a caveat that I am speaking strictly from a general standpoint. Probability states that a coin has a 12.5% chance of being flipped tails 3 times in a row. No matter the outcome of the first two flips the last flip still has a 50% chance to land heads or tails.

At an individual level, there will be strong homosexual households as well as broken ones. At an individual level, my personal friendship is extended to all no matter the way they live. Currently though my thoughts run along the first train of thought - general statistic trends.

-------------------------

We know very little of where recent social trends will lead us. Any long-term studies that have been conducted on homosexual households and their effect on those they influence are basically obsolete at this point because of how rapidly the sphere has shifted over the last five years or so. How will history be affected? How will culture change?

There are pioneers in the homosexual community that for the first time are willingly fighting to be able to go into the unknown. Like the early Mormon pioneers, they are being persecuted and fighting back and using their legal right to vote. They are taking ideas that are dear to them and attempting to live by them.

And like the LDS pioneers, they have no data that their mission is sustainable or will succeed. They just know that they are happy doing what they are doing, to hope for better life.

I firmly believe we should give groups room to be able to exercise freely their ideas, to iterate upon ideologies, to fail and succeed. Let the history books be written, compiling and analysing data, only after testing has been completed. We should be failing fast and failing often to find little nuggets of truth.

-----------

My opinion:

That being said, please let my little group do the same. Let us fail and succeed. Let us iterate our ideologies, to exercise freely our ideas. We have held to certain principles now for almost two centuries, and they have worked. They have turned a small utopian-Zion society into one of the fastest growing theologies in the world.

The sun will still rise tomorrow whether or not a new Star Wars trailer comes out or the LDS church releases a new policy statement or I drop my ice cream cone. Tomorrow I know I will wake up founded on principles of success that have been proven and tested. As for my little "utopian" society that I'm a member of: I will continue to support the lifestyle that it clings to so tightly. It has helped and continues to facilitate my creating a foundation for my life that will let me feel happiness now, leave a lasting legacy, and that I believe will extend into eternity.

As for each of you: choose for yourself, and cling to what you know to be true. There will be differences, but that's ok. It's what synergy and human development is made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment